Thursday, January 13, 2005

The new semester has begun!

I am so excited about this semester. This week was a bit of a surprise. I only had classes on Monday. I have had the rest of the week to get my life together. It seems as though this semester might be one that will boost my GPA, and Lord knows that can't hurt a bit.

Research seems like it will be okay. Acute Care seems really interesting. I guess that I probably should have chosen another area besides emergency medicine since it is technically not an area where a nurse manages groups of patients in the same way that a nurse would manage a group of patients on a med-surg unit. For infomatics, our assignment is to create a web page. I have absolutely no idea how one would go about constructing a web page, but I will find out. Critical care is later this semester.

Graduate school. Everyone says if you want to get anywhere in nursing, don't stop until you get that MSN. I figure it will be at least another year of school above and beyond my bachelors. At first I thought I wanted to do Peds or OB. I don't know about that. I do like women's health a lot. I did enjoy taking care of the older children, ages 4 and up. Med-surg was a really good place for me. I like taking care of adults, but I am not sure about Geriatrics. I could end up liking it, but I don't know. Surgery was okay too. After this semester, I will have seen all the areas of nursing except community/public health. I could very well end up liking public health. The goal of my clinical nursing experiences is to experience a variety of nursing environments so that I can select an area of nursing for graduate study.

Next week, I begin work on becoming bilingual. Speaking fluent Spanish has always been a goal of mine. I am determined to become a nurse who can communicate with most of my clients. Well, I have a little bit of homework to finish. I'll be in touch soon.

-Dee


No comments: