Thursday, April 14, 2005

And now...a word from the DIVA

Hey!

I know it has been a while, but here I am again. I have been so busy. I don't know where to start. Well, I passed my arterial blood gas exam. I am preparing for the ECG interpretation exam. ECGs are as easy to interpret as differentiation between breath sounds. What sounds like crackles to me is simply clear throughout with diminished bases bilaterally. I am in the ICU for clinicals. I never realized this before, but most people in the ICU die in a very organized fashion. Irregular tachycardia, tachypnea, low sats, bradypnea, bradycardia, v-fib, apnea, asystole. There it is. I think I am enjoying my experience, but I haven't really had the opportunity to take care of patients on the respirator. The semester isn't over yet. I still have 33 hours left to complete.

About the whole CPS investigation, I am learning a lot about the process. As it turns out, I was not reported for abuse or neglect. I was reported for suspicious marks. Hmm...interesting. This woman who has been our caseworker has been so annoying. I have to hide from her so I can get my homework done and make it to class on time. She comes over at least once a week and calls no less than twice. When she comes over, she tries her best to impress her values on me and get this...she doesn't have ANY kids. And yet she is in a position to tell me how I should go about taking care of my business. She tells me that I should MAKE people help me. I am curious to know what she can MAKE her husband do. I finally got the official report from the pediatrician confirming my innocence, so it should only be a matter of time. Needless to say, the house is still a mess. This is to be expected when you are a single mother and a full-time student. I have a few weeks before I start summer school, and I plan on re-doing the arrangement of my house to facilitate easy cleaning. I am going to move to the basement and give my room to my daughter. That way, my son will have his own space, and my daughter will have her own space. I plan on letting them pick out their own paint and decor. I am getting rid of all my big furniture and scaling down to just a futon, a coffee table, a jute rug and a papasan. This should be pretty interesting.

Spanish is coming along very nicely I must say. I didn't feel very prepared for my most recent exam, but I did pretty well. To enhance my Spanish, I am making arrangements to travel abroad for the fall semester for eight weeks. I talked to the kids about it and they seem okay with it. My son isn't all that thrilled because I will be away on his birthday. I told him that if he has good behavior while I am gone, I will give him a big party with whatever he wants to eat. This summer I am taking both intermediate Spanish classes intensively. I can't wait!

And now back to your regularly scheduled program

No comments: