Thursday, July 21, 2005

In a week I will be in a foreign country

I can't believe how quickly the time has passed. I am feeling a plethora of emotions about my trip. Yesterday, I had a meeting with the administration of my school. They gave me the same talk that my mother gave me and my brother in the car before we went into a store. I felt like such a liability. "Don't make a fool of yourself." "Don't act like a tourist." "You are representing our fine institution, so don't make us look bad." "If you go there and misbehave, they may never accept an exchange student from our fine institution again." Some of the things that we talked about were good, and for the first time ever I feel like they prepared me well for an experience. But at the same time, a lot of what they said was common sense and I was mildly insulted, but hey I guess I can't say I didn't know any better.

I am a grown-up, I guess talking to them about my feelings as a non-traditional student during the course of my schooling gave them the impression that I have a negative attitude, incredibly low self-esteem and that I have a critical eye for everything. This is my huge opportunity to show them that they got me all wrong. I am a perfectionist when it comes to my work. The people at my school can be very rude. I was not prepared for being talked to like an idiot, or being treated like a moron when I ask a question in class. But I think all of that will make me a better nurse in the long run. I feel like I can handle anything after living through that experience.

I won't be alone. Another person is traveling with me. I don't know her very well, and I am not sure how things will pan out with us working together. I found out that we will be working on totally different projects. I also found out that there are not many people there who speak English. ¡Gracias Dios para las clases de español! ¿Qué yo harí­a sin mis clases? Everything we are scheduled to do is in Spanish. Even the syllabus and lecture is in Spanish. I am thinking about extending my trip so that I can explore the continent. I am not thrilled about the idea of exploring this foreign country alone, but if I develop a relationship with the person I am supposed to be traveling with I may consider it.

Well, I guess I should get back to packing and preparing. I will post again before I leave, once I get there and whenever I get lonely. I am taking my digital camera, so you can expect a few pics too!

-Diva

1 comment:

pomegranate said...

I've just discovered your blog and would love to pick your brain! I've been rolling about the idea of going back to school for nursing for a bit now and would love to hear from someone on the frontlines, so to speak. I'd love to be able to email you if you have an opportunity. My email is on my blogger profile.