Monday, July 25, 2005

What a surprise!

Today, my mother-in-law to be called me over to see her before I leave because she is proud of me, and she wanted to give me a gift for sticking it out in nursing school. When someone calls you on the phone and says something like, "I am so proud of you for going back to school." I never realized that my decision to return to school touched so many people in a positive way. I have inspired people, and gave hope to people, just by deciding to go back to school at my age. That was something that I never expected. And everytime I think about it, I am amazed. In the beginning, I had a lot of skeptics say to me, "How are you going to do that?" "You're just a single mom, it isn't fair to your family." "How will you make it without working?" Somehow, I found a way to get through most of the hard times. Believe me, there were many.

Like the time my family could no longer help me and I had to find a way to finish out the semester with no daycare. Or when I had to fight about a reasonable schedule for getting my hours completed. I must say though, throughout my experience I never turned in an assignment late. When I started reading nursing blogs, I noticed that most of them talked about this wonderful, glowing nursing school experience and how great they were doing. That is not very honest. I am not afraid to say it out loud. Nursing school is TOUGH! Not everyone has the Florence Nightingale experience. I have failed a test before. At least once a semester I threaten to quit. It is hard work, but it is a labor of love. It is my passion. I can't imagine doing any other type of work. I have a lot of good support.

I know I complain about school most of the time. They aren't so bad...I guess. (Let me not get too carried away.) To be completely honest, I have learned a lot. I talk about some of my highly critical clinical instructors, but along the way I have had some pretty awesome ones too. My OB clinical instructor was very kind, and encouraging. My med-surg instructor wrote the most objective review I have ever had written by an employer/faculty. It was so precise, it didn't say that I was perfect, but it didn't make me feel like I should reconsider my career choice either. It was so honest, I was thinking about attaching it to my resume...Seriously! My acute care/critical care clinical advisor was very clear about things that I need to focus on in becoming a better nurse. I could probably call on these people anytime for help.

I want to say this to all and anyone who is reading this blog that what I write is from my perspective as a nursing student. Sometimes I am happy, and sometimes I am really pissed off. If you are seriously considering nursing as a profession, GO FOR IT! Try it out. I am glad I did. You will find out that you will touch the lives of others in really good ways, without even knowing it.

-DiVa

BTW, I have made no progress with my packing. I will be leaving in a few days for study abroad. I can't believe that time is going so quickly!

No comments: