Sunday, December 04, 2005

Hope for tomorrow...

Okay, last night I was talking to my fiance about a boy. We'll call him Oscar. Oscar is roughly about 10-11 years old. I met him when I was a homeroom parent for my son's class about 3 years ago.

Last year I was helping out in the classroom, and I was helping the teacher get the classroom cleaned up after a project. I was standing with a balled up piece of paper, looking around for a trash can. I never said anything, this kid Oscar went and found a trash can and brought it to me. I thought that it was the most amazing thing ever. My fiance called me crazy because I always reference this situation when I talk about people being considerate of another person's feelings or needs. Why is this so profound?

I think that it can take people years, if not a lifetime to be that in tune with another persons needs and this kid has already got it. I can't help but think of this on a global level. Just imagine what the world would be like if everyone was like Oscar? Would there be such a thing as poverty? If the president had the ability to look at a community, assess the needs and meet them, Kanye would never have made the comments about Katrina that he needed to make. If the whole world had the ability to anticipate the needs of Africa, there wouldn't be the tremendous problems with poverty and the AIDS epidemic. Just imagine if our world leaders were like Oscar?

One might say, why are you so excited over this one isolated incident where a child brought you a garbage can? This is not just an isolated incident. Oscar is always very considerate, polite and charismatic. He is a social butterfly, not only with the kids but the adults as well. And when I see a child be so well adjusted, it gives me a sense of hope. Because the kids of today, are the leaders of tomorrow.

I just thought I'd stop off and share one of my big interesting conversations. Oh, I have a brother who left for the armed forces this weekend. Our family is all tripped out right now because we are worried that he will be sent to Iraq. He doesn't believe that he will be going because his recruiter told him that he has a 20-80 percent chance of not going. But I would feel a lot better if they told him that in writing.

I am working on a paper. I think it won't be too hard, but the problem is getting motivated. Sigh...

DiVa

No comments: