Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Tabula Rasa

Happy New Year! New Year is one of my favorite holidays. It is a clean slate. You get a chance to start all over, from scratch. The thought of that is just AWESOME. So I thought that I would share some of my Divalicious New Years Resolutions.

Here we go!

DiVa's Top Five New Year's Resolutions

1. Lose weight and get in better physical condition.
The DiVa is serious this time. I have got to lose this weight so that I won't suffer from the sequelae of obesity. I have this condition that I call residual ten. Around the holidays, I gain 5-10 pounds. I may lose 5, I may not. Each year that residual ten adds from year to year and before you know it, whammo you weight an obscene amount of weight. And then on top of that I have weight from my babies etc. For a moment I resigned myself to being fat. Why not, I come from a long line of fat people. But then I can break this cycle and set a better example for my little girl. Once I make this a habit, it will be fine. I just know it. And besides, one day I will have to do this with my patients at some point. I am going to take fat pictures so that I can show them the proof that perserverance pays.

2. Develop a sense of spirituality.
I am not saying that I want to become overly spiritual, I just think that I am approaching an age in my life where I want to identify with my higher power. I believe in God, but I don't want to feel pressured into joining any particular religious sect or denomination. Maybe I will learn Tai Chi or start meditating. I like the idea of yoga and quiet contemplation. I think maybe I will borrow concepts from other religions and incorporate them into my life.

3. Be a better mother
I won't say that I am a bad mother, but I would like to be more focused on my children's well being. I feel like I am always making up for things that I am not able to do. I let them eat a lot of fast food and junk because school is so demanding that I have to make quick meals that aren't always very healthy. For a while my children lived off of Ramen noodles and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We eat off of paper plates all the time because I don't have time to wash dishes. The laundry is still very high and the house is a mess. I can do better than that and I know it. I just don't always have the energy and initiative.

Their lives need more structure. They need me to sit down and teach them basic life skills. Once I am finish this undergraduate program, I will be able to devote more time. I have been promised that my Masters program won't be as demanding as my undergraduate because it is designed to cater to the non-traditional student. I suppose we'll have to see about that.


4. Become more involved in my community.
Recently, there has been a changing of the guard so to speak. My mother's generation of children have moved into my grandmother's slot, and I am moving into my mother's generational slot. The children of today need adult leaders. There are very few girl scout troops in this area, so I thought that I might do that, when I have a lighter schedule. If I decide to return to my family's church, I was thinking that perhaps I would help out with the youth program. I would also like to volunteer for the AIDS taskforce and health promotion for the prevention of obesity in children. I have always been interested in chemical dependency, so perhaps I will try to find a way to volunteer in that discipline.

5. Develop confidence. Focus on the things that are really important.
I have this tendency to sweat the small stuff. I hope that this will be a year that I can put that all behind me and look forward to a bright future as a nurse. I will be able to take care of my family and experience a financial freedom that I haven't had in a long time as a single mom. I can't wait! I have come a long way, and this is the beginning of something really good.

So, what are your top five New Year's Resolutions?

No comments: