Sunday, March 19, 2006

The nurses have staged a coup...

Okay, so you know that I have been having a pretty hard time with my preceptor, but I have been gritting my teeth and bearing it because I want to finish my hours in time to graduate blah, blah, blah. I worked four days in a row and on the third day, I was washing my hands after doing patient care when one of the nurses came to me and asked me if I liked working with my preceptor. She wanted to know because she and a few of the other nurses were going to the nurse manager to report what has been going on, and they were going to tell her whether or not I agreed with their action because they felt that the way I was being treated wasn't right and that my preceptor should be stopped. They went on to say further that this is supposed to be a learning opportunity and that there was no way that I could be possibly learning anything with the constant insults and embarrassment that I suffer at the hands of my preceptor. Additionally, they felt that my preceptor's behavior was a poor reflection on their unit and the hospital in general and that I should leave their institution having had a satisfying experience.

I was stunned. I had no words. In that moment of silence, I thought about how miserable I am working with my preceptor. In my mind I was saying HELL NO I don't like working with that lunatic! But I said instead, my preceptor and university representative are aware of my feelings regarding working with my preceptor. I told them, I don't want to be caught up in the middle of your unit politics. I just want to finish my hours and graduate from nursing school. (No more drama for me thanks.) So they asked me if I liked working with my preceptor. I told them that working with her is like working with anyone, there are good days and bad days. They seemed disappointed. I asked her, who would be my preceptor if I were to be assigned a new one. It took my university forever to find the one I have now. She said something like she can't understand why they let this woman precept students because she is brutal to anyone who is learning, be it a student nurse, orienting nurse...Even the residents. She said the residents talk about her during rounds by calling her Dr.(insert name). They really make fun of her, and it is not a joke. Well, how come all these nurses didn't step up when my school was looking for a few good nurses? I told them, I couldn't stop them from going to the nurse manager if that is what they wanted to do. I told them that I would tell the nurse manager the same thing that I told my preceptor and the university representative. Then my preceptor walked up and everyone walked away. It was a very uncomfortable situation.

I told the university representative what happened and she thought that I handled the situation maturely. She will be contacting the nurse manager and talking with her personally about the situation and I will be getting a new preceptor. I thought it was the best thing to do because I don't want to be the unit gossip. I guess it is a bit late for that. The last clinical day, my preceptor was sooo nice. I felt a little bad. I guess I shouldn't because she brought it on herself, but then too I promised myself that I was going to talk to her and then give her a week or so to get it together. Well, that is that.

-DiVa, shocked to learn that not ALL nurses eat their young...

No comments: