Friday, May 12, 2006

DiVa will graduate Cum Laude!

The grades were posted today and I received my 4.0 for this semester, which makes my GPA exactly 3.58, in other words high enough to graduate Cum Laude. I am so happy. I expected to be happier because almost all of my blog posts make mention of me graduating with honors and now that it is here...I don't know, I guess I was expecting fireworks or something.

Over the past two weeks my fiance decided that my bachelor's degree makes me no longer on the same level as him and that it would be best to dump me before I dump him. I was actually going to try and make things work but he has given up. I am a little hurt, but I'll be fine. His sudden exodus makes things have to speed up a bit more than I had hoped. My ex claims that he will continue to offer financial support until I find a job, but I can't trust that. I have money saved up to take the kids to Disney for standing by while I was in school, but I might actually have to spend that on living expenses.

I have a few offers cooking up. I applied at a hospital that I had pretty good experiences with during nursing school. I had an interview this morning for a position in their NICU. I think that neonatal nursing sounds interesting. I answered all of the questions relatively well, (I hope). I don't think I did too bad considering that I last interviewed for a job 10 years ago. I also spoke to the recruiter about a position in the pediatric emergency room as well. Both positions are stressful, but if I had to choose one, I would probably want the peds emergency nurse. Next week they want me to come in for an observational day in the NICU. This means I get to spend four hours on the floor watching a nurse in action. While I am watching her, they will be watching me to see if I freak out and run away screaming. If I don't, they may possibly offer me a position. I will keep you posted.

My kids and family have been so supportive of me since all of this has been going on. My son is doing his homework without prompting. My mother has been coming over everyday to try and help me get things straightened out because my aunt is coming in from out of town to attend the graduation ceremonies. The house has three years of filth-flarn-filth that needs to be eradicated. We painted the kitchen this bright shade of DiVa pink. I adore it. The bathroom will be sand colored and have a beach theme. The dining room is Africa and the living room is Chinese. We still have a lot of painting and cleaning to do, (and here I am blogging!).

I am planning a small celebration with my family. Right now we are working out the menu. There will definitely be cake and champagne. I look at this celebration as the wedding I never had. It will be fun and cozy. Just family and the people who stood by me throughout school. I still can't believe I did it!

Always,

DiVa...amp'd because she made her goal of graduating Cum Laude!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congradulations Ms.DiVa. I wish you all the best. I will be starting my senior year in nursing this fall. Don't worry about that guy, trust me he'll want you back when he sees you and your kids flossin' in the new car, hair done, nails done, confident and doing your thing without him. Oh, I'm sorry that's my fantasy when I finally graduate. :-) I too plan to take my son on vacation when I'm done, he deserves it. Don't worry about it do what you have to do now and save for that trip if you have to. The kids will understand, and you'll feel really good that you handled your business and did it yourself. Again congrats, and good luck.

Nurse Diva Extraordinaire said...

Thank you anonymous poster for your words of encouragement. I can't wait to get my "You just go DiVa" thing happening. I am going to be too cute! Congrats on making it to your senior year. That in and of itself is a huge feat. before you know it you'll be celebrating with me.

-DiVa

Anonymous said...

Congrats DiVa. I just finished my first semester of nursing school so I have a ways to go. I would love to graduate with honors too. My wife graduated Pharmacy school Cum Laude and I would like to match that or better it. Forget the ex. Like your other poster said, he will be coming back when he sees you in your new car and looking so fine. Again, CONGRATS on completing a hard program

Nurse Diva Extraordinaire said...

Thank you, and congrats on starting nursing school. I wish you all the best.