Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The DiVa has found her place

It is looking like I am going to be a night-shift labor and delivery nurse. Who knew? I had an interview and it sounds like it will be a good fit for me. During the interview she actually asked me when I wanted to start working. Someone actually wants me to work for them. I am taking the big test really soon and I am ready, I think. Everything is going okay. I feel like I know what direction my life is going. The kids are spending time with grandma this week so I am feeling lost because my children have become a huge part of my daily routine. I'll be back to tell you about the big test in a few days.

DiVa

2 comments:

stunursedayton@yahoo.com said...

I am starting my 2nd semester of nursing this fall. Med-Surg. Looks really interesting. I am on a sponsorship from the hospital that "owns" our school. As a condition of that sponsorship, I have to work a min of 16 hrs/month. They put me in L & D. Keep in mind I am a guy. Most women so far have not said anything to me in a negative way. They won't hire new grads at my hospital due to having to teach them nursing (let's face it, when you graduate, you still need to learn to be a nurse. Alot of OJT still) and a specialty. But they will hire a nurse that has been an aid (like me) because I know the lingo, the methods and been around it for 2 yrs. Never gave L & D a thought. Diva, u know any male L & D nurses? Watching the babies come into the world sure beats the heck outta watching the pass in the OR or ICU.

Nurse Diva Extraordinaire said...

I haven't met any male labor and delivery nurses but they do exist. When I had my son I had a male nurse in the mother/baby unit. During my interview, the nurse manager mentioned that there were 3 male nurses that worked in labor and delivery. If I meet one at work, I will try to hook the two of you up so you can ask questions and gain insight.

I think that L & D would be a great career for a man. I would certainly consider it.