Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I took NCLEX

That test was amazingly hard. I saw stuff on that test we never talked about in nursing school, at least not that I remember. Okay here are a few pointers.

1. Know your lab values by heart
2. Try to relax
3. Review the drugs, side effects and desired effects
4. Work on priority questions
5. Get a good night's sleep

Sigh...I feel like I failed. I got somewhere in the neighborhood of about 100 questions. Only one math question. (Thank God!) I had so many questions about communicable childhood diseases that I could have died because peds is not my strong suit. And that's crazy because I am a mother. I heard that they throw out 15 questions because they are experimental. How true that is, I don't know, but there is one thing I do know. I can find out whether or not I passed in 24 hours. Tomorrow cannot come quick enough.

A few hours later

I am back again. I am nauseated with the fear that I didn't pass. I have become a maniac. I am tired, but I can't take a nap because I am amp'd. I really need to chill out. I have already taken the test, it is beyond my control. I keep reading things on the internet about people who pass the test after only 75 questions and then I read stuff about people who pass after 265 questions and then people who fail after 92 questions. Questions, questions, questions. Then I read "I passed", "I failed", "I failed again". I am seriously freaking out. Damn if I had only studied a bit more. Why couldn't I remember that it is important to monitor urine output? Ack! Thanks to everyone for their support. I am going to keep you posted on my progress, cuz I ain't moving until I know one way or the other.

In the middle of the night...

It's two o'clock in the morning. I can't sleep because I am too worried. I should be able to relax, but I just can't. I spent the afternoon at my mother's house drilling her on the questions that I thought I missed and even some of the ones I got right. She's an LPN. Man I tried everything during that test. I even tried the Lord's prayer, then I realized that I was wasting too much energy trying to remember the words so I started answering questions instead. Ugh. This process is crazy. When my Mom NCLEX'd (yes, it is a verb) she had to wait two months for the results. It's a good thing that I live in a state that does quick results. If I fail this will screw up my timeline. I need to make some money, soon. And if I fail, I have to pay another registration fee. I hope that I am wrong about that. By the way, while I was lamenting over my responses on the test another hospital called to invite me to interview for a position in Pediatrics. Since I haven't officially received an offer from the L & D, I am going to interview. Better to have options I say. Alright, I am going to try and lay down. It is raining here so sleep should come easier.

3 comments:

stunursedayton@yahoo.com said...

congrats on your NCLEX. You gotta give all the details on it. I want to hear them. U better have a cyber party when you pass

stunursedayton@yahoo.com said...

I know you know enough about drugs to figure out something to take for your anxiety. HEHE.

Kamo R said...

Thanks What a great info you have given us by your blog.

MCAT questions