Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The results of today's interview

Well, I don't remember if I told yous or not, but I accepted the position in L & D and I am supposed to start there in a few weeks. While I was waiting for the outcome of the interview for the L & D position, I received a call about a peds position. This peds position is at a prestigious hospital. They have state of the art gadgets and all of the sexy technology crap you learned about in healthcare informatics. I accepted the interview, and then the recruiter called and offered me the L&D job. I messed up the interview. I was early, which is always a good thing. I knew I was going to decline the job even if they had offered it to me for two reasons, 1.) I hated this unit while I did my clinicals there as a student and 2.) I already have a job and I was going to the interview just to be polite.

She began asking all those typical interview questions, you know the ones that start off like this: "Tell me about a time...(blah, blah)" "What are your strengths? Weaknesses?" "Why peds?" "Why our unit" "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" and I was like YAWN...(creativity?) So then she asked me something like what do I least look forward to about the job. I should have said wearing white all the time, but instead I told her that I least looked forward to being attached to a homing device (that's how they keep up with their nurses, seriously!) because it makes me feel like I am being micromanaged. She was pissed. Then she started saying things like "If I were a professional, such things wouldn't bother me and that it is used as more of a communication tool than anything else." So then I asked why does it tell you how long a person has been wherever they have been. Boy, I was really rubbing salt into an open wound. I stopped listening after a while because I felt like she was feeding me a line of crap and I was getting a little insulted. That was the last question. So then we went on a unit tour, and I suddenly remembered why I didn't like that unit. I guess I don't have to worry about it because by the time I got home, I had an email in my inbox saying that they were not going to be hiring me at this time. Whatever...

My L & D interview was really cool. I mean, the nurse manager asked me questions, but they were good questions like, "What do you know about OUR hospital?" "What inspired you to become a nurse?" "How would you like us to arrange your schedule when you return to school?" (without my bringing it up, they assumed I would be continuing my education.) "How can we better accomodate you as a new grad?" The nurse manager did most of the talking. She educated me about HER hospital and HER unit. She told me all the bad stuff UPFRONT. She challenged me, and how could I pass this opportunity up. Furthermore, this hospital insists that the nurses work as a team, and the physicians really value the nurses input. The nurses are included in rounds and they actually ask for your feedback on what you think will improve the patient's outcome. Incredible. The nurses have a voice, and that is what magnet status is all about. I HAD to be a part of this. (I know what you're thinking. You always get so optimistic and then something happens to let you down. Not this time.)

I am approaching this new job not to make friends, but to develop skills and settle into my role in the clinical setting. If I have associates with whom I share certain commonalities, fine, but I am not going to be trying to be lunch buddies with these people. I don't want to get caught up in the UNIT DRAMA. I just want to work, learn, develop therapeutic relationships with my patients and go home. Easier said than done, because we all know that some veteran nurse is going to do something to piss me off. But I am ready.

DiVa...interviews suck!

5 comments:

stunursedayton said...

I wear an electronic lease at the hospital I work at.

stunursedayton said...

leash

S. R. said...

Nurses and their managers never get it thru their thick skulls that catty behavior is what affects their staff rolls and makes them have to work their asses off. I hate catty units -- and I'm a guy. Just smacks of sanctimony.

Nurse Diva Extraordinaire said...

I agree, and alot of people would argue that it is mainly because nursing is a female dominated profession. With guys entering nursing,(and of course people claiming that cattiness in nursing is a "stereotype") you would think that we would want to work harder to change. Nursing staff being primarily female is no excuse for this type of behavior.

For example, one of the questions that she asked me was, "What would I do if I came into the breakroom and caught two veteran nurses gossiping about a rookie nurse?" I should have ended the interview right that because it is obvious that this must be a huge problem on the unti, and she wanted to see whether or not I could handle it. I don't think they get it.

S. R. said...

See, I've worked at a number of units as a nurse extern, and I've never heard cattiness like this. Maybe I'm spoiled. however, my friend who is a 1 yr RN tells me all the time about cattiness and sanctimoious behavior in her maternal health unit. Then they wonder why they are short-staffed and the regulars have to work their asses off. But whenever they get students or externs, they treat them like crap and talk behind their backs about how ,much they don't like them. They oust them before they can prove themselves. The funny thing is that my friend doesn't see my POV, and neither does her manager. All they focus on is "travelers" b/c they are crappy at training within....but they cost so much!

So, they end up short-staffed and getting their butts worked off, wondering why.