Friday, August 04, 2006

Long time no blog

I have been busy. It is time for the kids to return to school. Time for me to return to school. Time to get this job thing happening. I have seen some craziness these past few weeks. Babies born in the bed, women with infections so bad that a bath doesn't alleviate the vaginal odor. Kids born with congenital anomalies. Last week I had my first run in with a fetal demise. Yeah, what you want to hear I'm sure.

From what I was told, the young lady (age 16) called the hospital on a Sunday, complaining that she hadn't felt her baby move since Friday night and fluid was leaking from her woman parts. She was 37 weeks gestation, never had a baby before but she new that something wasn't right. So she came in and she was given an ultrasound. There was no amniotic fluid, which generally means the baby is no longer living. So her labor was induced. When a person is as far along as this young lady, she has to labor and push the baby out, even if it is dead.

The baby came out looking like a typical newborn, except not alive. I was sent back to look at her because they thought it would be better for me to see one before I actually had to take care of one. By the time I saw the baby, she had started to change colors and the head had become gelatinous. She was dressed in a onesie and had on a little cap. I asked how they thought that the baby had died and the said that it probably got tangled in its own cord. It was delivered with the cord wrapped tightly around the neck twice. I felt sick after observing this baby. I had a bad day after that.

On this particular day, I had an alternate preceptor, she was such a bitch. Thank God I only had to be with her for only one day. She was so mean to the patient's family it was embarrassing. When she found out that it was the family of the fetal demise, she felt bad, but she didn't apologize. My preceptor spent the whole day yelling at me for a variety of things. It took everything to remain professional. She observed me as a performed an IV stick. I have to do a pre-determined number of IV's and blood draws while I am in orientation.

She directed me to find a bifurcating vein and insert the catheter between the area where the two veins intersect while threading the catheter into the lumen of the vein that is straight. She also wanted me to anchor the vein above the sight which I am totally uncomfortable with because doing this increases the risk of needle stick injuries. I had never done an IV this way before and I was not wanting to experiment on the patient. The patient didn't want me experimenting on her either. The whole time she was saying, "You're gonna miss. "I know it." "I hate needles." As I am sure you could probably guess, I missed it. I felt defeated. At least she apologized for that.

Right now I am trying to treat me house for fleas. My darling kitten has them and now my ankles are getting bit the hell up. I set off a flea bomb while I was at work and my ankles are still itching like crazy. Aw hell. Gotta get ready for work tomorrow.

DiVa...Why won't these damn fleas DIE?

2 comments:

S. R. said...

I must agree Diva. Preceptors are a pain in the ass after you become a full fledged RN. I sometimes feel like a student except with biggest responsibility and bigger pay. I'm still taking care of another nurse's patients. In a way, I'm anxious to talk to my manager and get out on my own, but I don't want to be precipitous and rushed.

Nurse Diva Extraordinaire said...

I couldn't have said it better. The only difference is, I think I need all 120 days and then some because the unit handles so many complex cases that I'm not even sure that 12 weeks is enough time.

Hey, congrats on the NCLEX and what not I should probably visit your blog to get caught up on your life as a nurse!