Saturday, September 30, 2006

Independent woman....

Thursday was the last day of new hire orientation. Now I am on my own as a professional nurse. To me, it sounds like the most frightening group of words ever uttered by man. I will be responsible for two lives now, mother and baby. Huge responsibility. I am up for the challenge. I think...no really, I am ready.

This week I had a mom who had a BIG baby and I was doing the delivery with an inexperienced physician. She thought that she shoulders were stuck and she freaked out. I followed protocol, but damn was that intense. Luckily, I had the whole floor of nurses backing me up. Whew! Then I was delivering a young single mom with a baby's father that was a huge jerk. I told him if you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem. Let's be solution oriented. It did not help. Her mother was trying her best to disuade her from an epidural, which she ended up getting anyway. Then she delivered a beautiful baby boy with Down's syndrome. We have a lot of happy times, and our share of sad times too in L & D.

Right now I am supposed to be at my son's birthday party. I said I was going to skate since it is at a roller arena. Well, I'll be back later.

DiVa...blogging is my life!

No comments: