Sunday, October 08, 2006

A stellar first week!

This was my first full week out of orientation and I think I was alright. I still don't feel as comfortable as I would like to about reading the fetal heart rate tracings, but I know what a late decel looks like and I know what a deep prolonged variable looks like. If you struggle with fetal heart tracing here's a few links to give you an idea of what I am talking about

http://www.aafp.org/afp/990501ap/2487.html

http://www.obfocus.com/cme/fhr.htm

I will be spending some spare time studying. My days and nights are all confused like a baby. I stay up all night long, even on my days off and I sleep all day. I am still losing weight. Nursing is a very physical activity, I have built muscle and endurance from breathing with the patients and running back and forth to hike the pitocin. I find that I only really like to increase my pitocin when the patient has an epidural or when the patient has a good contraction pattern where I can see resting uterine tone in between contractions. Otherwise I need an internal monitor to assess the strength of contractions. I like to keep my patients comfortable and happy. I wonder how long I can keep this energy going.

As a new nurse I am so therapeutic. I imagine it must be sickening to my peers, but my patients like it. I wonder what I'll be like in a few years. Will I still go to work everyday with a smile on my face and a bounce in my step? Last night, one of my fellow nurses was being a little mean to one of the laboring patients. I felt sorry for the family because there really wasn't a good reason for her to be mean. She has only been out of orientation for five months and she is already disenchanted. This woman is the same lady who when asked how she felt about adjusting to her new role as a nurse said "I graduated in the top 5% of my class and I know that the knowledge is there, but everyday I feel like I am learning something new and with every challenge my confidence increases. I love my job and can't imagine working anywhere else." In addition, she passed on the legacy of the mean with the report she gave to the next shift. When I am in report and people say that someone a patient is an ass, I try to develop my own opinion.I try to find out why a person is angry. I dunno...

DiVa...Taking good care of my patients is part of the job!

No comments: