Thursday, October 12, 2006

Three days in a row...

And I don't have to work. Working is fun, but hanging out with my kids is funner. English skills declining. Need sleep. But adjusting to this nursing thing okay. Work is still fun.

Okay some weird stuff going on at the job. About 10 nurses quit recently. Makes me wonder what I have gotten myself into now. I am one of 5 new nurses on the floor, and one of three new grads. There are three new hires who haven't started yet are also new grads. Interesting no? And we will all work the same shift. Nights. We have a really great charge nurse who we affectionately call Abuelita. Abuelita has been a nurse for almost 30 years. She is really great. She knows what is going on all over the unit at all times. She is my role model.

We have a guy nurse that works in our unit. He is probably one of my favorite nurses. Anyway he was a little hyper about an alternative lifestyle couple that came in recently. Okay he was a little more than hyper and a lot of the girls on the floor were discussing his behavior. It made me realize something. If someone has it out for you, they can make your life a living hell. They ganged up and reported his behavior to the nurse manager. I think that someone should have talked to him first or the nurse manager should have handled the situation. They didn't, they went directly to the nurse manager. Ouch! When you make a mistake on my unit the whole world knows about it. I know I will make a mistake, but I wonder what it will be like to face my peers afterwards.

The other night I was about to have dinner with my kids when I got called into work. My kids were crying. I felt really bad because I had slept all day and spent no time with them. I really have to start making myself get up in the afternoons with the kids and hanging out. Well, time to get the kids ready for school...

DiVa...Starting to get the hang of this nursing thing!

2 comments:

overactive-imagination said...

Well, it sounds like you are having a blast. Can't wait to hear more and a huge CONGRATS on graduating and being on your own at work now. Right now I am kind of scared of that day, tell me once the time comes that it's not so bad??
Dawn

Nurse Diva Extraordinaire said...

I am really enjoying working on my own. It isn't bad at all. You will love it, I promise. I can't wait to hear of your adventures.

-DiVa