Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Tonight's the night...

Foreword
To everyone:

Thanks for stopping by, I am so happy to hear that my stories of triumph and (sometimes) defeat are inspiring. As I was going along my journey to professional nurse-dom, I often wondered if I was the only one going through some of the things I experienced. Thanks to all for your continued support and I wish you all the best of luck in your careers. You are always welcome to leave a comment or ask a question.

DiVa


And now today's news...

Tonight is my first night on my own as a labor and delivery nurse. I am scared and excited all at the same time. I am trying to do as much of my stuff for my kids' morning routine tonight before I go in to work. I live about and hour away from my job so I will be leaving shortly.

I received my student loan paperwork today and my monthly payment for my loans is $337.00 and that is not including at least two of my loans. I am out of grace in November. (Sigh...) I figured out when my loans would be completely paid off and realized that I will be 59 years old. 59 YEARS OLD! Damn. I will be eligible for retirement by the time my loans are paid off. The total amount of my loans, provided that I pay them according to the terms is $82,000. Imagine what student loans are like for doctors! If I were a professional athlete, I would make enough money in half a year to pay my loans off entirely. The priorities of our society are all jacked up!

To add insult to injury, I received my son's interim report and his grades are terrible. My old car pooped out on me and I had to buy a new one. I love my car, but my payments are going to KILL me. When it rains it pours. I am going to apply for this government program that will help me to pay off my student loans through HRSA and if I am approved I can get 60% of my loans paid. Light at the end of the tunnel. Okay, my daughter wants some attention so I gotta go.

DiVa...Wishing that she was independently wealthy!

2 comments:

Prisca said...

I can't wait until the day I am on the floor as an OB nurse! Thanks for the inspiration...as far as school loans, it was worth it, right?

Nurse Diva Extraordinaire said...

Yes. I can say my loans are worth it. I will probably have them paid off long before that time, hopefully. I love being an OB nurse! Good luck to you.