Wednesday, November 15, 2006

How do they know...?

A few of my colleagues at the job seem to know that I am having a bit of a struggle with my new role as a OB/L&D nurse. Have they found my blog? I imagine not. Cyberspace is a huge place, right? Or maybe I shouldn't talk to my other newbie nurses about my insecurities and feeling just overwhelmed. They are just awesome, they never make any mistakes or forget anything. They always leave on time. They are just so organized. Or are they? I cracked the code on how everyone else manages to leave on time. Wow, I feel alone. I am not part of the clique. It is possible that those particular nurses have an understanding. Or maybe, everyone is in the same proverbial boat as I am in the role of the new grad. I am hoping that the latter is the case.

I must be the only person willing to acknowledge my feelings of inadequacy. Is it such a bad thing? Should I put on the poker face and just go about as though I know everything? I was taught that behaving that way is the most unsafe way to practice. Or maybe I should be bitchy all the time like some of my other peers. Nah, not me. I will need more time to figure out the relationship between myself and other nurses. I am becoming more comfortable with the whole nurse-doctor relationship. They are regular people. I guess I knew that, I just felt intimidated. I have a raging headache, and I don't even have to work tonight. Sigh...

DiVa...Is it really going to take a year for me to feel like I know what I am doing? I can't wait that long!

2 comments:

kate loving shenk said...

enjoy your blog!

here's a link to my weekly newsletter for nurses:
http://www.nursingcareertransformation.com/
simplenewslettersignup.html

enjoy and happy thanksgiving!

kate loving shenk

Labor Nurse said...

Hi There,

I couldn't help but to comment on what I have been reading here on your blog. I am also an L&D nurse, and my first L&D job was awful. I won't go into it, but if you want you can find it somewhere on my blog.

I wonder if maybe you are just in the wrong hospital? That's what it was for me. It wasn't that I couldn't do this type of nursing, it was that I couldn't do it in the wrong environment.

Good Luck.