Tuesday, January 16, 2007

All of a sudden...

Things are starting to come together. I feel like I am starting to know what to do and when to do it. I won't get too excited, but it is pretty amazing. I am becoming more proficient at deliveries than ever before. And I am pretty good in the OR too! I am finding that I really am enjoying the OR more than ever before. I am even thinking about finding a PRN position as a scrub nurse or circulator. Baby steps, DiVa! Baby steps...

I don't know what happened. I am pretty happy about it though. I wish I had more experience as the screening room nurse, but as I understand it my experiences as a labor and delivery nurse will make my screening experience much better. I can't wait. I think that one of the most frustrating things about being a new nurse is that I am dying to be therapeutic, but it is impossible to be therapeutic when you are still trying to develop your basic nursing skills in your area of interest. Once the basic skills come together then it is easier to incorporate other skills and specialized language training and so on. I can't wait to see how much better I will be six months out.

I think I am finally being socialized into my work environment. It is hard coming onto a floor that has already established relationships and bonds. I am finding that I work with a really awesome group of women and a few men too. I am not a part of any particular clique. I don't really have the time to be a part of a clique because I spend most of my time in the room with my patients. And working with doctors is getting easier too. At first I was afraid to express my opinions or question orders. But now I can question an order and express how I thing the plan of care can be better managed. I can even make a suggestion or two. Funny, huh?

My son recently showed me a pile of papers that he had graded. Most of them were perfect papers. I was impressed. My daughter is becoming so responsible. I am almost obligated to buy her these darned heelys that she wants so bad. And the puppy, he peed on the puppy pad in the bathroom all by himself. Without me taking him into the bathroom. Amazing! I don't know what I am doing right, but for the moment everything is cool.


DiVa,...Confidence is my middle name!

No comments: