Friday, June 22, 2007

Updates and such...

On dating...
Okay, so I called this guy that I met at the job. (The electrician) I was initially very excited and optimistic about what could be and when I talked to him I found out that he is a little bit arrogant and self absorbed. I probably won't be calling him again. Here's what happened. I decided to call him one night before I went to work and he didn't answer his phone. I thought "Whew!" when all of a sudden, my phone started ringing. It was him returning my call. Do I answer, or make him leave a message? I answered and he sounded like he was in the bathroom.


I said, "Hi, it's NurseDiVa. I met you a few mornings ago and you gave me one of your business cards." He says, "At the hospital?" I said yes. He said, "What floor?" I said, "Labor and Delivery...?" He says, "Oh, the baby floor." (Not sounding so good.) I said, "Yes..., the reason why I called was because if you are not seeing anyone, I though it might be nice if we got together for lunch or coffee or something. You seem like a really nice person with whom I'd like to be friends." He said something like, "I don't do coffee." I said, "Well what Do you do?" Basically he said he likes to work out at the gym and admire himself in the mirror, Oh and make money. *insert deep exasperating sigh....

After that conversation he wanted to come up to the job and meet me for lunch. (Hello, night shift?) He left two messages on my phone. I returned his call yesterday. I dont think he remembers me. I think he wants to see me before he makes any kind of plans because he wanted me to page him to our floor before the end of my shift. I bet there is a nurse on every floor that has one of his business cards/pager number and to be honest he didn't deny it when I made a joke to that effect. Whatever...

I met a nice guy at the drugstore yesterday. he had seen me at a party a month ago and I left before we had a chance to meet. His name is Jeff. I don't know much more about him. In all honesty, I thought that my cousin wanted to date him so I never gave it a second thought, but now that she is dating another guy I guess he is fair game. We exchanged numbers and someday I might call him too! That is if he doesn't call me first. I think I like calling first since I have tried it because I feel like it gives me a certain sense of control over the outcome. I don't know if I will be talking to the electrician again and if I do, we will be ONLY friends.

On the job...
Suddenly, it seems like everything has clicked and I finally know what I am doing. For real this time. I was wondering when it was going to happen. It has taken almost a year to get myself together. People have always said that it takes about a year to feel like you know what you are doing. I guess that is true. One of the hardest lessons that I think it has taken me to learn is not to sweat the small stuff. And believe me, about 90% of it is small stuff. Being on a first name basis with a doctor is not so awkward anymore.

I am not as afraid to express my opinion on the plan of care, or discuss aspects of the plan of care that I am uncomfortable with. It is becoming easier to ignore people with attitudes, accept mid-shift assignment changes and discern REAL emergencies from potential emergencies or things that just need to be watched. For the first time in a long time look forward to going to work. I have even learned who to ask for help and who not to ask, because believe me you cannot ask everyone for help. Some people will give you bad information and then pretend like they didn't advise you when it doesn't work out. Or they will report you to the nurse manager for being inept. I am glad that I stuck it out.

On family life...
The kids are making me crazy this summer. The house is a mess, there is no food and sleeping is nearly impossible. But we are working it out. My son is going through this independence phase. I have to get him in check now because he is approaching the unruly teenage years and I am the law. He did get up this morning and get himself ready for football conditioning. He made sure he ate a well balanced meal, got dressed, I must say I was impressed. My daughter is still my baby. She is getting taller and more independent. Soon, no one will need me for anything. But I still think it will be a while before I can trust them to get themselves ready for school unsupervised.

DiVa...counting her blessings and loving life at the moment!

No comments: