Friday, July 27, 2007

How many phones must a DiVa buy...?

Okay so I have bought two cell phones in the past few weeks and I have to buy one more. One night my cousin and I were driving around town and she was drunk...(as usual). Somehow, she managed to drop my cell phone in an uncovered drink that was resting in the drink holder. How the hell she did that, I don't know but she didn't offer an apology and God knows she is broke as a joke. This heifer never has any money to fund anything. I was pissed off a little bit, but I was looking for a way to get out of my contract with my mobile carrier anyway so I went to a local cellular dealer and got a new phone. While I was there, I got a phone for my son too. Then he went to a local festival and a couple of teenagers roughed him up and took that phone from him. Sigh...there's another $150

The day before yesterday I got a pedicure and manicure. Now I need to get more sandals to show off my gorgeous toes. I love shopping. I am a woman, what can I say? I go to work everyday, I deserve the finer things. But first I have to get ready to buy school clothes for the kids. One of my children wear uniforms, the other doesn't but now he wears adult sized shoes. All of a sudden my 13 year old needs name brand shoes. He used to be happy with his "buddies" but now he wants to style and profile. But even the "buddies" cost almost $30-$40 a pair. I blame it on the gas prices. I am so not ready for a teenager...

Did I tell you that I survived a year at my job. Yes, I made it! The Diva has been a L & D nurse for an entire year. No one has gotten choked yet and I got a whole dollar raise. Woo-hoo! One whole dollar. I have yet to see the difference in my check because I work overtime, but soon I will get back down to my normal 36 hours. And in addition to all that I have confidence. That is almost better than the raise. I have had a few bad situations, I know what one looks like and what to do...CALL THE CHARGE NURSE. I know that sounds scary. But just imagine what it must be like on our floor on my shift where almost ALL of the nurses have been nurses for less than 3 years, and besides those three or four people, everyone else has had less than a year to six months of nursing experience. And on my floor 3 years is considered experienced. I am pleased with myself. very pleased.

In the past year I have seen many things, I have helped mothers say goodbye to their babies. I have taught mothers how to take care of their babies and themselves. I have brought families together and opened up lines of communication. I have found my voice and learned how to stand up for what's right even when it was not the popular position. I have learned how to advocate for my patients. I have learned when to speak up and when to stand down. I have laughed and cried. Nursing school did not teach me those things. But nursing did. And even though I bitch and moan about how things suck from time to time I must say that at this point, I have no regrets. Labor and delivery is not always a happy place. Babies and mothers die. But this is the commitment I have accepted and I am proud of myself. I do this nursing thing with a style all my own. I can only get better from here. And watch out for me when I hit Labor and Delivery NurseDiVa status!

DiVa..the SUPERSTAR of labor and delivery!

No comments: