Thursday, January 24, 2008

Close Encounters of the Roach-kind...

It seems like lately,roaches have been making their presence known. Not in my house. My house isn't as clean as I would like it to be but no roaches. An occasional ant or flea weather permitting, no roaches. Ever. I have heard of people seeing roaches at establishments. For instance, I was in my theory class the other week and the cafeteria at the school was closed. So everyone went to the hospital across the street to get breakfast. The dude in front of me said his friend stepped up to the counter and the cook asked her what she wanted. She told the cook, "I want two pieces of french toast, two pieces of bacon. By the way there is a roach on the counter behind you crawling on a Styrofoam cup." According to the dude, the cook kept on cooking and the roach lived to see another day. I guess she figured that the roach wasn't hurting anything. Either that or the cafeteria doesn't pay her enough to cook and kill roaches!

That story reminded me of when I took my daughter to get her hair done. This is a process that takes hours. So she asked me to get her something to eat. She took a break to eat her food and I closed the bag and set it on the table in the shop. When the stylists reached the two hour mark, my daughter decided that she wanted to finish her sandwich. She opened the bag and I heard her shriek. I was like, "What is wrong with you?" She said, "Mom, there are beetles on my food." I knew instantly that she was talking about roaches. I picked up her bag, tiny roaches still crawling out and threw it in the garbage. Then, as they were finishing her hair, I saw a HUGE roach crawling across the floor. I wasn't the only one, my daughter saw it too and started to cry. The stylist took a cup of boiling hot water and poured it on the roach and then asked me, "Is it still moving?" I would imagine not. Next time we will have to get to the shop before nightfall.

Last week, my FOB came home and said, "You look tired, let's go out to dinner." I was like, "Hell yeah, I don't feel like cooking anyway!" So me, him and the kids all piled into the car and we went to the Chinese buffet. We were all walking around putting our plates together and I decided that I wanted to try the hot and sour soup. A friend of mine had me try some of hers and I thought it was pretty good. I walked around the buffet table and grabbed a little saucer when something shiny caught the corner of my eye. It was a HUGE roach walking right towards the hot and sour soup. At first I was like feeling sorry for the roach and decided I wasn't going to kill it. After all, it wasn't MY house. But then I thought, what if someone else EATS this roach after it fell into the soup. Eww! I grabbed one of the saucers and killed the roach. The guts were smeared all over the underside of the plate. I called my FOB over and said, "I think we should probably leave." He said, "I ain't paying for this shit, that's nasty!" I agreed, then I called one of the servers over to the buffet table.

I showed her the roach and she picked it up with her BARE HAND and rubbed it between her thumb and index finger to be sure it was dead. She was like, okay and she took it back into the kitchen. I don't know what she did with the roach but our family left that restaurant. There was a lady sitting at another table. She was finishing her food and paying her bill. She wanted to know sooo bad why we were leaving when we had only been there for about five minutes. There was a guy at the buffet table the same time I was explaining to the server. I don't know if he left too, but damn that's nasty. The server tried to act at first like I planted the roach on the table, but I told her to review the roach guts on the underside of the saucer. She couldn't say ANYTHING after that. We walked out and went to another restaurant. My eyes were peeled the whole time. I was kinda freaked out because the carpet was brown. The design had me thinking that there were roaches everywhere, even though there were none. Basically, my appetite was ruined.

The scariest encounter I had with roaches was probably the night at the county hospital. I had a busy night and the shift was over. I had to go the bathroom really bad and I had already left the floor. I was in the basement. The nearest bathroom was the janitorial locker room. I opened the door and ran in. All of the toilets were filled with this putrid blackish brown water. I turned around and notice a field of dead roaches all around me, lying on there backs and all dried out. I was in such a hurry, I didn't even notice. There were hundreds of roaches everywhere. I ran out of the bathroom. I didn't have to go to the bathroom anymore. I rode home the whole 45 minutes and went to the bathroom in my own home.

How the Hell do these public places stay in business with roaches like that?

DiVa...grossed out with all this roach talk!

No comments: