Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

I have been sick for the past day or so. Luckily, I let the kids spend the holidays with the in laws and I spent New Years Eve alone. Well, not really, the resident jerk was here, but since I was sick, he has been keeping his distance. Not that he even cared to begin with. I asked him to take the dog out and run to the grocery store and get me my favorite sinus remedy and he actually stomped his feet and sulk like a huge baby! It was amazing to see a grown ass man throw a tantrum about doing what he should be doing anyway...

I feel a little better now, and I have no choice but to get my butt in gear because I have to be back to school tomorrow. I ordered my $400 worth of books and have proceeded to get my crap together for clinical. I have also planned my days down to the hour. I turned the leftover turkey into Turkey noodle soup. No laundry yet though. I still need to make arrangements for my children. I found an after school bowling program for them, that's one day a week down, at least 4 more to go! I am a work in progress...

So now on to my New Year's resolutions.

I have 10 things that I resolve to do in the coming year.

1. Love DiVa to the fullest, no matter what the year may bring!
I think self-love is at the core of all my insecurities. If I love DiVa, everything else will fall into place. That means making time for my manicures, pedicures, hair appointments and date night! Not with a man, just me the bubble bath and relaxing music.

2. Lose Weight
My goal was 30 pounds a year, but my personal trainer told me that was not aggressive enough. Even though she is a crazy biotch, I love her and I hope that we get the opportunity to work together again. Diet and exercise will become my best friend. At 5am every day I will attempt to be at the gym. And I am seriously going to have to get my self started on the Beck Diet Solution and Dash Eating Plan. I should be at least 20 pounds lighter before swimsuit season. If I can only find the time...

3. Set Boundaries
This is another thing that is the very essence of my problems. If I set boundaries I will be able to lose weight. That goes for my relationships too! The kids, my ex-dude, friends and family, most importantly my mother. I love her to death, but she is going to give me a freakin' break for crying out loud! I have already started by ignoring the phone calls from my crazy cousin. Do you know she has reduced herself to using the kids to work on me?

4. Get Organized
I tried to get the house together over break. I found this person on the net called the FlyLady (http://www.flylady.net/index.asp). I have been threatening to start her program for almost 2 years now. This is something I really want to make time to do. She guarantees that your house will be presentable to company within 30 days. You begin with shining your sink and move up from there. I will let you know how this works out!

5. Stay Focused
I have a tendency to get off track. I once talked to my advisor about problems I was having at the beginning of the semester. She told me that there are things I have time for and things I don't have time for. She went on to say that right now the two most important things in my life right now are my kids and finishing my doctorate. I am going to put that on my motivational sticky notes.

6. Be a Better Mom
I don't think I am a bad mother, but I do need to set some boundaries, clean up my kids diet and set a better example. They need a decent bedtime, healthy meals and snacks and some serious home training. They need chores and someone to spend some time teaching them the facts of life. And that someone is me!

7. No More Fast Food
This one is going to be really hard because it is much easier to stop at McDonald's and pick up some .99 double cheeseburgers than it is to make a real dinner. I am really motivated to making this resolve stick. For the sake of my health and the health of my children.

8. Quit Smoking FOREVER
Alright. I will be honest. Occasionally, I like to have a cigarette. I like smoking. There, I said it. I know it is bad for me, smoking has been banned inside bars and restaurants, it should be simple...right? WRONG! When I feel stressed out, I want a cigarette so bad it kills me. I have been able to hide my little smoking habit from my children. I have stopped buying my own cigarettes, I just smoke my sisters or my friends. I really want to quit for good. I don't want Cancer or COPD. Now I need to JUST SAY NO!

9. Get back to church
When I was going through my valley phase of life I felt like God had abandoned me. I thought, if God really loved me like they say He does I would not have all this suffering. It is my belief that all of the suffering that I have endured has been for a bigger purpose. Maybe, it is a blessing and something I have gone through will help someone else. I know for sure that I have been blessed because I have everything I need and then some. I want to give back. More importantly, my children need to have a religious foundation. I am embarrassed at the fact that they know nothing about religion.

10. Balance all that stuff
I was talking to my personal trainer after she sort-of fired me. I won't say she truly fired me, I just had a lot of at home catastrophe at the time (broken fridge, bad grades, broken heart...etc.) and she wanted me to resolve some of my at home stuff and resume training at a later time. Now, I was supposed to be continuing to go to the gym every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I haven't been going because school had just gotten out of control and I needed to get things back in control. After I missed the first day or two she called me, and I explained what was going on. She told me not to let school take over, and of course I did. But this must not happen anymore. When I was working on my undergrad, I didn't watch TV, do anything not related to school. I didn't even visit family or friends. This can no longer happen. Life is too short, and I wanna have some fun!

DiVa...Have a Great '08!

No comments: