Monday, January 14, 2008

Like riding a bike!

Being a nurse is like riding a bike. You never forget how to do it, once it has been ingrained into every fiber of your being. This L & D unit is okay. I won't get too excited because it is only my first day. All the rules seem to be relatively the same, except the charting system is a pain in the butt. Otherwise, this hospital is labor and delivery utopia. The rooms are very nice and clean. I was so comfortable, it was hard not to jump in and get started. I think I want to take my time and really make sure I know my job before they turn me loose on my own. I can tell already that they trust me. Being in this environment really has me questioning my choice of clinical focus. Am I really a family practice nurse? Or a midwife? I will probably end up being both.

I can tell already that there are a few bitches that I am just not gonna like. That's a shame. I have already decided that I am not going to get caught up in the office drama. Besides, I only have to work 2-3 days a months and I have too many other things to worry about. I am focused on what I need to do for a change. Also, the clientele seems to be dramatically different. More affluent people than at the county. I will certainly miss that as well. I am excited to get back into the clinical area. I just wonder how I will balance work, school and motherhood...

Tomorrow is my first day of school. I am planning to start clinical in three weeks. The FOB is going to help out until February. Things are slowly falling into place. The house is starting to look like it is inhabited by human beings again. I am nervous about being on my own, especially since my baby sister asked me to keep my five year old niece for a few weeks until she can get herself together. This is a luxury that I have never been afforded when I was a young mother trying to figure out some direction in my life. I have no idea who is going to watch her while I go to school and work. I am still trying to figure out what I am doing with my kids after school certain days of the week. Today I was caught up in a delivery and I couldn't leave on time and my son was stuck at bowling practice with no ride home. I know there will be more days like this. I am thinking about having my brother help out. We'll have to see what he says.

Well, gotta get ready for tomorrow. Just thought I'd stop and make a few notes. I am happy for the most part and I can't wait to see what class will be like tomorrow.

DiVa...finding ways to keep myself busy, unintentionally!

No comments: