Tuesday, May 11, 2010

And now, the moment of truth!!!

I will admit, I am nervous! The new job starts next week. For the past three years I have been in school, studying hard and becoming the best nurse ever and the moment of truth is upon us: Can I successfully articulate my education into clinical expertise?

I will be embarking on this leg of my journey as a nurse practitioner in a STD clinic that is a branch of a local health department. Since I am still in the process of completing my doctorate, I will be working roughly about 32 hours a week. But I think I should back peddle a little bit so that you have a clearer picture of how I ended up in this position. I would also like to illustrate how my higher power aligned this opportunity, I still can't believe it myself!

I was applying for positions and as you know I am an FNP. I wanted more than anything to be an internal medicine nurse practitioner (with an HIV specialty) at the local free clinic or at a homeless health care clinic doing outreach work. (I chose family as a specialty because I have a plan to do Doctors Without Borders or Peace Corps when my kids are all grown up). A good foundation would be a position in Internal Medicine or Family Practice. To work in primary care most of the units want 2 years of nursing experience.

You see, I have only been a nurse since 2006. And I only practiced for a year and change. I basically had no nursing experience so to speak. But, I worked in sales for many years...I can sell ice to an Eskimo ;) I was offered a position in 2 units: A neurological specialty and internal medicine. There was just one catch: They wanted me to work five days a week, 8+ hours a day with an occasional Saturday and they couldn't promise me a schedule that was not more than 40 hours weekly. I quickly calculated that I would have to not only meet the learning curve, but I would have to manage the demands of a strenuous schedule, mother my children, manage my household and also work on finishing my doctorate. I could have managed it but, I would be so overwhelmed!

As I was calling to plan my interview for the internal medicine position, I happened to ask the recruiter if there might not be a position in Infectious Disease. She said that she just had a position come across her desk for a nurse practitioner in, you guessed it: Infectious Disease. 32 hours a week, working with STD's, the staff willing to teach a new nurse practitioner the ropes. As a matter of fact, she gave me the phone number of the collaborating physician and encouraged me to call immediately. The MD and I talked on the phone for like an hour! While I was on the phone, she scheduled my interview and a tour of the unit for one week later. When I arrived at the unit, I learned that half of the staff were people I worked with when I was a clinical instructor (I'll have to tell you that story one day as a throwback). Luckily, I had a really good relationship with the staff in clinic and they were excited to find that I was interviewing for the clinician job. A week or so later, I was offered the job!

I know that this position is a narrow application of my skills and my goals as a clinician are so much more loftier than where I am starting out. For now, I believe that this is where I am meant to be! This position is in my area of interest and my new superiors encourage my academic pursuits...They love it that I am working on my doctorate! It is only the beginning :)

Always,
NurseDiVa

9 comments:

Vixen said...

Congratulations Nurse Diva! I always love reading about your successes! You are a woman on the move. I'm sure you will reach all your goals and more.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have been following you for a while and I just want to say that I am proud of you - I don't even know you but I am proud of you LOL! You have no idea how inspiring you are. God Bless!

getterdone said...

Nurse Diva,
I am so happy for you having secured a job of interest to you. You have "Come Along Way Baby." To have obtained your FNP and now working on your Doctorate is something to be proud of! I can relate to you because I have been working on my Master's in nursing and working full time for a long time. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I will be graduating May 2011. Humm, I wonder what I will be when I grow up!
Thanks for such an inspiring blog.

dissertation thesis said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my dissertation research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog while researching Tuskegee Study. Just thought you might want to know that I am really impressed by your insights, common sense, and ambition. Oh, and your writing!

I am going to refer one of my masters students to your blog. She could use the honest-but-not-drama shared frustrations and inspirations.

cw

Kris said...

I am currently pursuing my MSN in Nursing and I love reading your blog. I hope you come back and update us with your life!

Jane Morai said...

I hope everything has worked out well for you over the last couple of years.

literature review examples said...

You could likely turn this information into an ebook with little effort, Good job on this great information.

Elena Shella Villamor said...

Hi Nurse Diva,

I am pretty certain that you will do great as a practicing nurse! The mere fact that you finished nursing school (I know what this entails because I am an editor for Nursing Explorer- http://www.nursingexplorer.com) says a lot about your perseverance.

Congratulations in advance to the Infectious Disease Nurse Practitioner!